The IMA Research Foundation (IRF), a nonprofit organization formed in 1994 affiliated with IMA® (Institute of Management Accountants), is dedicated to funding relevant, thought-provoking research that furthers the knowledge and scope of accounting and financial management globally. To date, IRF has awarded more than $1,000,000 in research grants to academics and doctoral students pursuing research that impacts management accounting practice.
IRF is launching its 2023 Special Call for Volunteers with two-year terms for the following roles:
IRF VICE CHAIR
The IRF Vice Chair supports the IRF Chair in overseeing the operations of IRF, promoting IRF, and recruiting volunteers. In particular, the Vice Chair will be responsible for:
• Filling in for the IRF Chair during his/her absence
• Performing regular reviews of research grant and award programs
• Serving as referee in difficult cases with respect to grant reviews
• Helping with the training of IRF Directors (volunteers)
• Reviewing IRF performance reports prepared by staff liaisons
• Reviewing materials for and presenting, as needed, IRF updates at relevant IMA committee meetings
• Providing overviews of the IRF performance at the Annual Meeting of IRF Directors (in summer) and meetings of the IRF Executive Board Committee
Similarly, this role also requires 10 to 12 hours of work each quarter. The two-year term begins July 1, 2023, and will end June 30, 2025, with the option for renewal or succeeding the IRF Chair.
CHAIR & ASSOCIATE CHAIR OF THE DOCTORAL GRANT REVIEW COMMITTEE
The Chair of the Doctoral Grant Review Committee, an IRF subcommittee, leads the Doctoral Scholars Program by overseeing the doctoral grant application process, including conducting preliminary reviews on grant applications, selecting external reviewers, and making final decisions on whether to fund the applications.
The Associate Chair of the Doctoral Grant Review Committee works closely with the Chair in managing grant application reviews to ensure timeliness and fairness. Moreover, the Associate Chair assists the Chair in recruiting and managing members of the Doctoral Grant Review Committee.
As members of the IRF Executive Board Committee, both the Chair and the Associate Chair of the Doctoral Grant Review Committee are required to attend meetings of the IRF Executive Board Committee.
To fulfill the responsibilities of these roles, 8 to 10 hours of volunteer work is generally required per quarter. Term can begin between February 2023 and July 1, 2023, and will end June 30, 2025, with the option for renewal.
IRF DIRECTORS (multiple positions available)
Responsibilities of IRF Directors are as follows:
• Provide timely, thoughtful, and high-quality reviews of research grant proposals from academics, practitioners, and/or doctoral students
• Assist in reviewing research proposals submitted in response to any special calls for research proposals
• Participate in discussions and/or deliberations within IRF
• Contribute to strengthening the links and transmission of management accounting knowledge between academic and practitioner communities
• Assist in enhancing the research mission and profile of the IRF and IMA
Term ending June 30, 2025, to begin between February 2023 and July 1, 2023, with renewal option.