Academic position in Strategic Management
Last modification : Monday, June 13, 2022
The Faculty of Economics and Business (FEB) of the KU Leuven has a vacancy for a full-time assistant or associate professor in the research unit Management, Strategy, and Innovation. We are looking for motivated candidates with a promising research agenda or an excellent research track record, along with demonstrable teaching skills, in the broad domain of Strategic Management.
You are an ambitious, internationally oriented researcher in the domain of Strategic Management broadly defined. You preferably also have affinity with Organization Theory, International Management or Entrepreneurship. You publish in international top journals within the field, attract external research funding, develop international research projects, and advise doctoral students. You strive for excellence in research and as such contribute to the reputation of the Faculty of Economics and Business. You have an outspoken interest in fundamental scientific research and also perceive opportunities for valorization of research findings and applied research.
- You will teach courses in one or more of the above-mentioned domains at the campus in Brussels, with the specific courses being assigned to you depending on your profile and experience. You also contribute to the continuing development of the educational programs of the department, and you supervise master theses. Tenure-track candidates start with a reduced teaching load of about 9 ECTS (amounting to 1 full-semester course and 1 shorter course or module).
- You develop teaching methods in line with the KU Leuven approach of research-based education with an emphasis on activating students (see http://www.kuleuven.be/english/education/education-at-ku-leuven). You take advantage of the opportunities offered by the faculty and the university to further develop your teaching skills. You contribute to the educational philosophy of the university, and you show commitment to uphold the high standards of its programs.
You show a willingness to integrate in the research group, to actively participate in and contribute to professional group activities, and to take up internal service duties. You put teaching and research activities at the service of society and aim to contribute to the broader social debate. Tenure track candidates start with limited service duties.
- You have a PhD in Economics or Business or a PhD in a related domain with evidence of expertise in Strategic Management. You have excellent research potential. The quality of your research is demonstrated by the quality of your PhD dissertation, promising research projects and papers, publications in top-tier peer-reviewed journals and/or international research experience. Junior applicants are expected to show research excellence through a pipeline of promising research projects, papers and academic references. Experience in writing grant proposals and a strong international network are recommended.
- You can show evidence of didactical skills and preferably have teaching experience in the domain of Strategic Management, or otherwise in the domain of Organization Theory, International Management, or Entrepreneurship. You have the necessary communication and organizational skills and are a team player. Your written and spoken English is excellent. The official administrative language used at KU Leuven is Dutch. If you do not speak Dutch (or do not speak it well) at the start of employment, you can follow language training provided by KU Leuven to enable you to take part in administrative meetings. During the tenure track, you will be given the opportunity to learn Dutch to the required standard.
- The vacancy is open to both junior researchers at the assistant professor level and more senior researchers at the level of associate professor. PhD students in the final phase of their studies can also apply. Candidates hired at the level of assistant professor will enter a tenure track for a period of 5 years, which in case of a positive evaluation is followed by an appointment as a tenured associate professor.
- You will join a dynamic and internationally oriented research environment. This full-time position initially requires a clear commitment to the study programs offered on the Brussels campus of the FEB, where you will join the research unit Management, Strategy, and Innovation. We offer a dynamic and internationally oriented research environment, with frequent collaboration with colleagues on the Leuven and Antwerp campuses of the FEB. For more information, please consult https://feb.kuleuven.be/research/MSI.
- The Faculty of Economics and Business has systematically been ranked highly by several independent accreditation committees regarding the quality of its research and teaching programs. The FEB has recently acquired the renowned EQUIS accreditation and benefits from an extensive national and international network, both in academia and in the business world. For more information, please consult: http://feb.kuleuven.be/eng/research.
- KU Leuven is well set to welcome foreign professors and their family and provides practical support with regard to immigration & administration, housing, childcare, learning Dutch, and partner career coaching, among others. To facilitate scientific onboarding and accelerate research in the first phase a starting grant of 100 000 euro is offered to new professors without substantial other funding, appointed for at least 50%.
- The KU Leuven pursues a policy of equal opportunity and diversity and explicitly encourages underrepresented groups at the university to apply. For more information, please consult: http://feb.kuleuven.be/eng/about-feb/jobs and https://feb.kuleuven.be/nl/0790-bro-intzap.pdf.
For more information please contact Prof. dr. Arjen Slangen, Chair of the search committee, Faculty of Economics and Business, mail: firstname.lastname@example.org or Prof. dr. Jeroen Belien, Campus Dean, Brussels, Faculty of Economics and Business, mail: email@example.com.
You are expected to submit the following documents: a biosketch, a file on your five main publications or professional achievements, a detailed CV, and teaching evaluations (if available).
External reference letters (required for junior applicants) should be submitted by mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more detailed information, check the job application procedure on the following website: https://www.kuleuven.be/personeel/jobsite/en/academic-staff/senior-academic-staff-tenure-track-information#job-application.
Applications must be received no later than September 15,2022, ‘midnight CET’.
You can apply for this job no later than September 15, 2022 via the online application tool
KU Leuven seeks to foster an environment where all talents can flourish, regardless of gender, age, cultural background, nationality or impairments. If you have any questions relating to accessibility or support, please contact us at diversiteit.HR@kuleuven.be.
Employment percentage: Full-time
Department of Management, Strategy and Innovation, Brussels Campus
Apply up to and including: Thursday, September 15, 2022
Tags: Business Economics
Find function in the organizational chart
Apply for this job