Congress Header

Practical Information

Practical Information

The temperature in Glasgow in April is between 10 and 18°. For up to date weather reports please click on the following link: UK weather 

The local currency is the UK British Pound £ (GBP). Euros are not used in the UK although many large hotels and shops do accept them, but you may not be offered the best exchange rate.

The current rate of Value Added Tax (VAT) on most goods and services is 20%.
If you live outside the European Union, you can take advantage of the Tax Free Shopping scheme to reclaim VAT on purchases for export.

Credit Cards
All major credit cards are widely accepted in hotels, shops, cafés and restaurants. You should always carry photographic ID as you may be asked for this when making a transaction.

ATM/Cash Machines
There are many ATMs in the city either beside banks or as stand alone cash-points. £ (GBP British Pounds) can be withdrawn from these machines (charges may apply).
Some machines may issue Scottish notes – these are perfectly legal throughout the UK but you are advised to change them back into standard notes before you leave Scotland.

Banks & Foreign Exchange Bureau
Banks are open from 9:30 – 17:00 from Monday to Friday, and some larger branches also operate on a Saturday until 12.00.
Alternatively there are many foreign exchange bureau, although they usually charge higher rates of commission than banks. Avoid changing money or cheques in hotels, as the rates are usually quite high. Money may also be changed at high street Post offices

The UK and Republic of Ireland use a power outlet plug and socket system which is a different design to other European countries: (rectangular – not round). Adapters can be purchased in the airports and electrical shops. Please see an example of UK plugs below.

Emergency Phone Numbers
Dial 999 for fire, police, and ambulance or coastguard services.
Emergency calls are free from pay phones.

Medical Treatment
If you become ill while visiting Britain, you can get free emergency treatment in the Accident and Emergency departments of National Health Service hospitals. However, if you are admitted to hospital as an in-patient, or referred to an out-patient clinic, you will be asked to pay.
In Britain you can buy over-the-counter (non-prescription), medications as well as get expert medical advice at pharmacies – often called chemists.
Pharmacies are usually open from 09:00 to 18:00 Monday to Friday, 09:00 to 13:00 on Saturdays and limited availability on Sundays. However, in larger cities you will find a number of pharmacies open late during the week and on the weekend. For more information and to find a pharmacy near you, visit the National Health Service pharmacy information website.

English is the national language.

Restaurants & Bars
Meals are normally taken earlier than in other European Cities, so please remember this when making dinner plans as restaurants tend to be busiest around 19.30-20.30hrs.

Lunch – 12.00-14.00hrs (most people take no more than one hour for lunch)
Dinner – 19.00-22.00hrs (many restaurants may stop serving food after 22.00hrs)
Bars are open for lunch and usually close at 23.30hrs with nightclubs open until 03.00 in the morning.

The traditional ‘Black Cab’ is the most popular type of taxi and these can be pre-booked or can be stopped in the street when the ‘TAXI’ sign is illuminated.
Glasgow International Airport has a fleet of taxis which do not need to be pre-booked.
Private Taxis (i.e. non-black cab) must be pre booked and should not be stopped in the street.

Scotland, like the rest of the UK uses Greenwich Mean Time (GMT) in the winter and British Summer Time (BST = GMT + 1) in the summer. At the time of the Congress, the time will be BST, and will change back to GMT at 01:00 on Sunday 28 October 2012.

Service is not normally included in restaurant, hotel and taxi bills. 10%-15% is the normal rate to add to the bill.

Travel Insurance
Please make sure that you have valid travel insurance to cover your time in the country.

The Organisers will not be held liable for illness, accidents or thefts suffered by participants or accompanying persons during the congress or their stay in the UK before or after the congress.